Aboriginal history and culture
- Aboriginal history and cultures in the Australian Curriculum (Christine Reid) 1.8Mb ppt
- Aboriginal perspectives in Australian Curriculum (Christine Reid) 1Mb pdf
- Astronomy and Australian Indigenous Peoples (Adele Pring) (1.4Mb word)
- Australians Together - Curriculum Resources
- Overview of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Histories and Cultures in the Australian Curriculum (Christine Reid)
- Role play of Aboriginal history in South Australia since 1800 (script)
- Role play of Aboriginal history in South Australia slides (3Mb ppt)
- Role play of Eyre Peninsula Aboriginal history (script)
- Role play of Peramangk (Mt Lofty Ranges) Aboriginal history (script)
- Teaching about Aboriginal art and the Dreaming slides (1.8Mb pdf) also see below for notes
- Teaching about Aboriginal art and the Dreaming notes
- Aboriginal language map
- Dreaming stories and birds (463kb word)
- Claude Demell, biography of an Adnyamathanha man
- Timeline of legislation affecting Aboriginal people in Australia
- Stolen Generations presentation 1.5Mb pdf
- Aboriginal perspectives on transport
Places to visit for school excursions
- Adelaide International Bird Sanctuary
- Centre of Democracy https://centreofdemocracy.sa.gov.au/
- Migration Museum https://migration.history.sa.gov.au
- National Motor Museum https://motor.history.sa.gov.au/learn/
- Maritime Museum https://maritime.history.sa.gov.au/
- National Trust SA learning programs https://www.nationaltrust.org.au/education-sa/
- National Capital Educational Tourism Project http://www.canberraexcursions.org.au/
- South Australian Museum - Indigenous Cultures Gallery https://www.samuseum.sa.gov.au/visit/families-educators
- State Library of South Australia - learning programs and resources https://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/programs
For teachers by teachers / writers
- Australian Curriculum Teaching Resource (SA), https://acleadersresource.sa.edu.au
- Economics and Business - Years 5-7 links http://economicsandbusiness.weebly.com/#/
- Civics and Citizenship - Years 5-7 links http://adelaidelawcourts.weebly.com/
- Developmental Progression: Sources Analysis Skills. Strands: History and Geography. Years 7-10
- Foundation Year - Geography 'mapping my world' by Fiona PorterGeography - Years 5-7 links http://teachgeoliteracy.weebly.com/
- Food security in the 21st Century - using 21st Century fluencies 2.2Mb pdf
- Reading camels with Rosanne Hawke 4Mb pdf Images of camels, cameleers and community in contexts in Afghanistan, Australian History, teaching ideas and links to Australian Curriculum
- The CRAP test: because the Internet isn't always right (Katie Silva) https://padlet.com/ksilva/hass2018internet
Recommended Aboriginal performers for your school event
- Corey Theatre Music, singer, songwriter. http://coreytheatremusic.com/
- Uncle Eddie Peters, a Torres Strait Islander man, living in Adelaide.tel 0403 195 675
- Yellaka, a fusion of ancient traditional and contemporary Aboriginal dance, song and storytelling, performed proudly and respectfully by its young Aboriginal members. See contact details on their Facebook page.
- Our recommendations are made based on professiional and engaging performances by each of the above at HASS SA's collaborative PD with KodalySA.
- Australian Electoral Commission http://education.aec.gov.au/teacher-resources
- ABC Science Catchment Detox Game http://www.abc.net.au/science/catchmentdetox/files/home.htm
- FrogWatchSA http://www.frogwatchsa.com.au/about/about-frogwatch-sa
- KESAB Litter Less http://www.kesab.asn.au/programs/litter-less/
- KESAB Papermaking http://www.kesab.asn.au/schools/classroom-sessions/papermaking/
- KESAB Wipe Out Waste http://www.kesab.asn.au/programs/wow/
- Model United Nations https://unausa.org/model-un/
- Primary Industries Education Resources http://www.primezone.edu.au/
- Narrahunnawali (Reconciliation resources) https://www.narragunnawali.org.au/curriculum-resources
- RSL Virtual War Memorial https://vwma.org.au A site full of South Australian and Northern Territory stories related to World War 1 (soon to include all of the 20th century conflicts in which South Australians has been involved). Students can research stories and other information on the site. They can also do original research themselves family histories- to submit to the site.
- World's Largest Lesson https://worldslargestlesson.globalgoals.org/
Books for sale
Ngadjuri: Aboriginal people of the Mid North Region of South Australia
A full-colour, 148 page book, describing the country, Dreaming stories, language, traditional foods and life, archaeology, history from 1930s to today, interviews with Ngadjuri descendants, historical role play script and genealogies. It is a valuable resource adaptable for teaching early to senior secondary students.
Songs for Aboriginal Studies and Reconciliation
A full-colour songbook and CD with 17 songs written by Adnyamathanha man, Buck McKenzie. It is suitable for kindergartens through to adults.
Download the songbook order form.
Learn more about the Songbook and CD.
View the list of backing tracks and piano scores that can be downloaded from this website.
Terry Bradford, a friend of Buck McKenzie, has written a song 'McKenzie Highway' dedicated to Buck. It is performed by his band, the Texettes.